|Nickname|| Sun-Woo Ganju|
Sun-Woo Clan Head
The Child Hero
|Relatives|| Mrs Yi (mother)|
Mr Yi (Father-unknown)
|Affiliation|| Nine Dragons High School|
Martial Arts Alliance
|Occupation|| Sun-Woo Clan Ganju|
Martial Arts Alliance Danju
|Operates in|| Murim|
|Master|| Chun-Woo Han (Former) |
Jang-Il Jeong (Former)
|Style|| Black Heaven & Earth|
|Part 1||Chapter 1|
|Part 2||Chapter 1|
Shi-Woon Yi is the main protagonist of The Breaker Series. He is the first official disciple of Chun-Woo Han, the Goomoonryong, and the current Head of the Sun-Woo Clan, and the Danju of the Martial Arts Alliance.
Shi-Woon looks much like any other Korean high school student, often dressing in his uniform and later on in sweat suits. He has shaggy hair and an unremarkable "failing" face. His body is particularly skinny with little to no muscle at the beginning of the series, as made evident by his inability to complete most basic physical exercises, which may be due to his particular body condition, resulting in a body that was naturally inferior since birth. Although his strength has increased after receiving training from Goomoonryong, his body didn't changed much; however, his fashion sense looks to be getting more and more like that of So-Chun Hyuk. Recently his body has became more muscular comparable to other Murim like Chun-Woo Han or Ha-Ill Gang.
After the S.U.C.'s invasion in the Nine Dragons High School, Shi-Woon underwent the phenomenon change called Overhaul Rebirth, which rearrange his body. However, no distinct outer change has been visible aside from So-Chun Hyuk commenting about an increase in height. This comment may be more focused on Shi-Woon's increased mental, spiritual, and social presence instead of on his literal height.
Recently after the death of Elder Kwon and entering the Black Origin Threshold Shi-Woon body surrounded by Ki flames and his eyes changed colours.
In the beginning Shi-Woon was a coward and constant target of bullies. No matter how far Chang-ho and his gang went, Shi-Woon was too cowardly to oppose them or stand up for himself. This led to him being treated as a slave at times. He was unable to properly talk to his crush, Sae-Hee. Even though she was a supportive and kind, consoling Shi-Woon when she saw him after a beating, Shi-Woon was unable to handle the attention and broke down sobbing at how helpless he was in front of her. His feelings were so fragile and confused that he even yelled at Sae-Hee. Eventually, all of the stress added up Shi-Woon lost hope in life. He was convinced that dying would be better than the living and prepared to kill himself. This all changed when Chun-Woo Han arrived at school. He isn't afraid of blackmailing Chun-Woo Han with a video of him fighting a group of thug, telling that he will put it on the internet not before saving the video in his home computer. After learning how to fight from Chun-Woo Han. Shi-Woon was able to slowly develop his own will and courage based of his own spirit and Chun-Woo's blunt lessons. Unlike Chun-Woo, Shi-Woon has an utter distaste for killing, talking his master out of killing enemies despite the consequences. Shi-Woon has no problem with depending on others but also has an overwhelming resolve to protect those he cares for. This trait was present before training, but afterwards, he has the ability to act on it more effectively. He is still very meek and prefers to avoid confrontation unless the situation calls for it.
According to So-Chun Hyuk, Shi-Woon is a person who surpasses the instincts of mankind. He is prepared to die whenever he fights, abandoning the fear that most people have while fighting. This lack of fear then has the reverse effect on his opponents, making enemies who are superior to Shi-Woon fear him. Ju Sang-Sik has seen the same thing, stating that Shi-Woon fights like a veteran of the Murim. He also states that contrary to his innocent nature, Shi-Woon is very calculating fighter.
It should be noted that throughout the series his resolve not only irritates others but can even leave people to pondering his magnificence. This effect is so powerful that many people have gone from disliking, or even wanting to kill, Shi-Woon to actually joining his cause or falling for him. This "skill" has been effective on everyone from peers all the way to elders, geniuses, and even homicidal masters. Some examples: Chun-Woo Han, Shi-Ho Lee, Jang So-Sul, So-Chun Hyuk, Jin-Ie Kwon, Ji-Gun Yoo, Sera Kang, Elder Jeong, Elder Kwon, Mun-Gi Ma.
He has picked up some trait from Chun-Woo is having small bouts of uncharacteristically strong rage. These have been seen when something he cares for has been insulted, threatened, or hurt. He's rage was first seen when Chang-Ho threatens Sae-Hee in the first part of the series but is not as intense until later one. His rage reappears again when he finds out that the S.U.C. had severely hurt his mother and when he learns that Sera Kang was hurt using while herself as a distraction. This rage leads to him entering the Black Origin Threshold when Jang-II Jeong is seemingly killed by an explosive during the S.U.C.'s attack on his school. More recently, he has developed a great pride in the Sun-Woo clan. If anyone insults or debases the Clan, even indirectly through not respecting him as the Ganju, Shi-Woon reacts with rage and anger. Having had drastically different experiences within the Murim, master and pupil also differ in temperament when their rage does manifest. Chun-Woo will often show sadistic pleasure along with his rage while Shi-Woon simply becomes cold, determined and assertive.
After being given the seat of the Martial Arts Alliance Chief, Shi-Woon desire to become stronger was strengthened as he needed to be stronger in order to live up to the responsibility and trust placed on to him. As he also developed strong a desire to fight in order to see how much he improved. This was seen when he was leaving the the Martial Arts Alliance building and came across So-Chun Hyuk, upon seeing him he was thinking about fighting him to see how much he has improved his skills and techniques.
Shi-Woon had a complete loyalty to his master, the Nine Arts Dragon and couldn't believe that he was what he was told by So-Chun Hyuk the S.U.C. are his follower or that he is the one who is giving them the orders to do what they did. Even after witnessing one of the videos Chun-Woo sent to the S.U.C. and seeing the damage his master personally inflicted. Shi-Woon still believed that his master isn't that kind of a person. However, after witnessing the death of Elder Kwon and using the Black Origin Threshold Shi-Woon gave up on his former master, start view him as an enemy and stopped calling him teacher or master and instead call him by his title.
- "If it weren't for Sunsengnim . . . I probably wouldn't be here today." - Shi-Woon to Chun-Woo
- "Both disciple and master are absolute morons." - Takeshi in reference to Chun-Woo and Shi-Woon
- "My fist isn't that weak! You think I'd lose to those pseudo-martial arts?!" - Shi-Woon to Yong-Hyun Yan
- "I don't know what happened, but I'm glad to see him in the Murim again." - Kang-Sung in reference to Shi-Woon
- "Even so... even so, I believed ... that sunsengnim... that you are absolutely not that kind of person... However ... However, I can no longer ... believe in you... Goomoonryong" - Shi-Woon to Chun-Woo Han
- He is the driving force of the story in New Waves.
- Shi-Woon was dubbed by So-Chun Hyuk as the first person to defeat him.
- He has experienced a similar incident in both Part I and New Waves at around the same chapter time. In Part 1, he faced off against So-Chun Hyuk and in New Waves with Ji-Gun Yoo. Both individuals were prodigies, beat him brutally in battle, were affected by his spirit, and both accepted defeat after being hit only once. Also, in both parts, Shi-Woon gets pursued by a large group of people and these events both begin after something huge happens to Shi-Woon. In The Breaker, he finally masters a foot technique and the Soul-Crushing Strike. In New Waves, he goes though Overhaul Rebirth.
- Both he and his master have had their arms in a sling and one of their legs were hurt for a time and engaged in battle regardless.
- Both he and his master have an archenemy each. Chun-Woo Han has the Martial Arts Alliance and Shi-Woon Yi the Soldiers Under Command. Ironically one becomes the leader of the other's archenemy, Chun-Woo leads the S.U.C. and Shi-Woon the M.A.A.
- Shi-Woon Yi's name means "lucky stone" in Korean language.
- Ironically, both of his master and Ryuji thought that killing Shi Woon was an act of freeing him and both of them failed. Also, all living practitioner of the Black Heaven & Earth style tried to kill him at one point in their life.